Cape Point Route offers a wide range of Accommodation, Activities, Attractions, Restaurants, Venues, Shops, Tours and Packages on the CAPE PENINSULA, CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA

:: Hout Bay :: Noordhoek :: Kommetjie :: Scarborough :: Cape of Good Hope :: :: Simon’s Town :: Fish Hoek :: Kalk Bay :: St. James :: Muizenberg ::



Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Snorkelling with Seals.....





I had the distinct sensation that I was being watched and with a glance to my right, I saw the big brown puppy-dog eyes of a Cape Fur Seal hanging upside down in the water next to me. My new marine friend was begging me to come and play. With a casual roll he (or was it she?) flipped over and darted around me. With a lazy kick of my flippers I glided through the water and did my own mini somersault, only to be followed and mimicked by a decidedly more graceful maneuver. With burning lungs I headed for the surface to expel water from my snorkel, realizing that I do not having the stamina or diving prowess of the seals frolicking around me.

Snorkeling with seals was my most recent adventure. Trips are organized all year round by Scuba Shack and allow you to go sightseeing on the Cape Point Route under the water. The great part is you don’t need any diving experience but you do need to know how to swim! We met at Hout Bay harbour and were given a superb briefing by the Scuba Shack PADI dive master, who carefully explained the day’s proceedings and gave us some good snorkeling tips as well. We were kitted out with wetsuits (the Cape’s Atlantic waters can be a little chilly!), weight belts, fins, masks and snorkels. We only had to bring our costumes, a towel, sunblock, an underwater camera is a great idea and of course some money!

We left Hout Bay harbour for a fun boat ride to Duiker Island (often called Seal Island) – with fabulous views of Chapman’s Peak and the impressive Sentinel which presides over Hout Bay. Duiker Island is home to thousands of Cape Fur Seals. It’s not a breeding colony as the sea can be rough and the pups get swept off the rocks. Cape Fur Seals are named for their thick pelt, unlike true seals which only have a thin covering of hair. Despite their size (between 1.5 and 2 metres in length) the seals are amazingly agile on both land and water.

Although the seals can be timid on land, once in the water they are bold, friendly and incredibly inquisitive. The young pups were particularly curious, darting up to us and frolicking above, below and next to us. They were perhaps more curious about us than we were about them. Some larger, more heavily whiskered seals were slightly more aloof and I had the sense that these were the mothers and aunts keeping a watchful non-aggressive eye on their charming children. The pups antics were so entertaining and amusing that I actually burst out laughing – which is not a good idea when underwater and I had to rush to the surface coughing and spluttering.

Scuba Shack organizes snorkeling with seal trips most Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays, but will happily head out if there are a minimum of 5 passengers. The trips are either in Hout Bay or in False Bay depending on the weather conditions. If you want an up close and personal interaction with seals at their friendly most appealing best - call Scuba Shack on (021) 785 6742.

The trip is an easy, fun way to experience aquatic life. Check out seal "hydrobatics" on the Scuba Shack video clip on their website if you need any convincing! www.scubashack.co.za . Put on your flippers, take the plunge and let the seals show you how it’s done.

For more information on what to do, where to stay, where to eat, and where to play in the peninsula visit: www.capepointroute.co.za or call 021 782 9356.

No comments: